Friday, July 15, 2011

I once bought a Norton in England and rode it around Europe in 1971

I wanted to buy a motorcycle in Europe to replicate my tour of 1971 with a Norton Commando bought from Elite Motors in Tooting (London), tax free.

But, when I again had the money and time to do so  there was no "tax free" plan to buy bikes in Europe from the US.

Decades past and finally I decided to buy a Harley Sportster to bring to Europe.  I did not like Harleys but the difference in price between a Harley in the US and one in Europe was such that even with the shipping cost I could break even if I decided to "nationalize" or sell it in the EU.

No one wants to go through the crap necessary to ship  a motorcycle from the US to Europe airfreight except for Berklay.  They charge 2,000 USD, but only make about 300 USD on the deal.  You have to have someone who knows who to receive the bike in Europe, and  I could only find Knof Tours, a fellow called Stefan.

I have completed most of the tasks, but I still have to bring the bike to Jamaica (JFK) New York on Monday, 2 days from now.

I had to send my title to the bike and a power of attorney and the payment,of $1995 via credit card, to Berklay.

I am going to trailer the bike to New York on Sunday so that it will be there on 18 July 2011, ready to be put on a pallet and sent to Frankfurt via Lufthansa air freight.

As I load the bike on my trailer I will take pics, and I will tell you how the whole thing went.  And I will take pics of me and the bike in Europe, if we get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment